Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What I have learned about action research, and how I might be able to use it:

What I have learned about action research, and how I might be able to use it:
Recently, I have learned that action research helps a person effectively change their "practice"...that is, their ways and procedures to getting things done.
With action research the focus shifts from the external/ outside experts to the administrators on the “front lines”/ campus-based.   The campus- based administrators in turn, formulate their own questions and/or problems, collect data and interpret the data surrounding/ pertaining to their questions.
I view action research as an act of reflection that has been created and fueled by an administrator.  A strong leader will always find time to analyze and evaluate the activity/ non-activity his/her campus by creating a regularly scheduled meeting time for reflection among their team/ organization.  Reflections can effectively take place during leadership team meetings, as well as, during regular PLC/ Department Chair meetings.  A strong leader will lead by example by reflecting on what works and what does not work when addressing the specific needs of their campus, and provide the necessary training so that other team/ organizational members will know how to reflect and evaluate past and current actions/procedures.  When certain plans/ systems have not proven as effective for the needs of the leader’s campus, they will brainstorm as well as collaborate with their team to find alternative ways to effectively address the issue at hand.  Action research is an excellent starting point to an administrator’s quest to improve his/her campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment